I saw my oncologist, Dr Tache, yesterday and described my symptoms to him. He listens, and it’s obvious he does, and that’s good. When I was telling him that there had been two or three days when the roof of my mouth, much of my tongue and the top of my throat had all been numb, his ears really, really, picked up and he commented “I’d have sent you to the hospital.” It seems these symptoms might be indicative of my having had a stroke. They aren’t symptoms I’ve ever heard of in connection with a stroke and I’d just put them down to side effects of the chemo and/or the neulasta which, of course, boosts my white blood cell count but can be quite painful, this time causing pain from my pelvis to my knees for three or four days. Had I had trouble with my speech, with my vision, crushing pain in my chest or my arm or even a sudden urge to void my bowels then yes, I’d have associated all of those things with a heart attack, but not the numbness in my mouth and throat which in many ways seemed just to be an extension of the varying patterns of numbness I’ve been experiencing on my tongue ever since I started the ABVD chemo to rid my body of Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. Anyway, although we went ahead with the chemo yesterday, Dr Tache is concerned and wants me to have a variety of scans and specialist reports to make sure my heart, brain and lungs are all functioning as they should be which is all fine and dandy, just as it should be, but, of course, some of them must first be approved by my insurer, so, who knows whether or not Dr Tache will get to know what he wants to know and whether or not he will be able to make an informed opinion as to how we continue my treatment.
We all had a great time with my daughter who had an absolutely nightmare trip over here. She’d booked her flight with US Airways from Manchester in England which meant a drive of about 100 miles from her home in the West Midlands. When I went to bed the night before her flight the flight had been put back, but, when she arrived at the check in at around 8 a.m., she discovered that the flight had actually been cancelled. The best US Airways could offer was a flight on the Sunday, two days later. Not a lot of good when you fly home two days after that. Now, I know nothing about US Airways reliability but this site http://www.euclaim.co.uk/us-airways-flight-delays seems to show that the Manchester – Philadelphia flight was cancelled three times in seven days which hardly sounds good does it? Anyway thanks to the efforts of her husband and British Airways my daughter managed to book on a BA flight from Manchester to Heathrow and then on to Miami, finally arriving at her hotel some 21 hours after she left home that morning. I think her journey was worth it. Will she ever again try to fly US Airlways? I doubt it.